So what exactly do you wear to a GRAMMY Party? This year's invitation says "dress to impress" and in past years it has said "festive," both of which aren't all that helpful if you've never been to one before and don't know what to expect.
If you regularly watch award shows, then you have probably noticed that clothing at the GRAMMYs is usually more creative, more trendy, and formal than other award shows. What else would you expect from today's hottest music stars? If you haven't noticed this, then compare these photos from the red carpets of The GRAMMYs, The Academy Awards, and The Golden Globes. Keep in mind that this is the show that brought us Lady Gaga's egg, OK Go's full-body suits, and Jennifer Lopez's green dress.
Here are some general tips and guidelines to help you decide what to wear:
- It is ok to channel your inner pop, rock, hip-hop, or country star - as long as you don't go too overboard and actually show up looking like Gaga or Britney
- The viewing parties have a similar mix of fashionable, trendy, edgy, creative, and formal
- It's fairly normal to see jeans, sneakers, long dresses, cocktail dresses, business suits, trendy pieces, bright colors, sleek black outfits, fancy heels,and casual flats all at same event
- Sparkle or shimmer can be appropriate here, think something similar to what you might wear to a holiday party
- Keep in mind that a local niche may influence the style you see at the event. Attire in a city known for indie rock will likely be different than one known for latin music, country music, or hi-hop
- Remember it is still a professional event and provides networking opportunities, so don't wear anything too short, offensive, or low cut
- You can dress up a more casual outfit with accessories, shoes, a jacket, and, for women, hair and makeup
- Dark jeans paired with a dress shirt, blazer, or dress shoes is actually a fairly popular look
- If you aren't sure what to wear look to the venue for help and take what you would usually wear there up a notch or two for the event
- The party is less formal than the actual award show, so keep it a little more casual than what you might choose to wear to the real awards
- Generally anything between dressy casual and semi-formal is probably okay
- Some stores to find affordable fashion for an event like this include Forever 21, H&M, Charlotte Russe, New York and Company, GAP and Urban Outfitters